Discover what you really want to do in your career. Identify and acquire the minimum skills and tools you need to master.
Welcome to the second episode of the Post Status Get Hired podcast! Cory Miller, CEO of Post Status, and Courtney Robertson, Web Designer and Developer Advocate at GoDaddy, have launched this series with Get Hired for anyone who wants to start or develop their career in the WordPress space.
Courtney and Cory will walk you through all the phases of job-seeking: figuring out what you really want to do in your career, identifying and acquiring the minimum skills and tools you need to master, how to start a project, and how to get involved in the WordPress community.
🎙️ Every week Get Hired will help you discover careers in WordPress. Learn about the job opportunities related to WordPress.
- When are you at your best — and happiest and fulfilled? What was the environment and what were you doing? Who were you doing it with?
- What interests and fascinates you?
- What do you need to be fulfilled outside of work as well?
- Evaluate your training options, time, and commitment
- Know your skills and personality type — what self-discovery have you done? Try Kolbe.com‘s OPgig.com and Gallup’s StrengthsFinder.com.
Get Out and Research
- Read job boards!
- Follow the people and companies you’re most interested in working for — their social media, blogs, and GitHub accounts.
- Ask people in those jobs what they like and what they do.
- Network! Meet others at events.
- Listen to things you think are over your head.
- Follow the major industry events you’re interested in on social media.
- Get involved on a Make.WordPress.org team.
- You must start somewhere! Dive in. Try and test things out. See what you like and don’t like.
- Apply to some jobs and practice interviewing.
Courtney Robertson is currently a Web Designer and Developer Advocate in the GoDaddy Pro team and the co-rep of the Make WordPress Training Team.
Courtney is driven by the desire to empower various schools, non-profit organizations, and businesses in the most unlikely places by training their students, staff, and business community in business and technology to impact their economy and quality of living. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging matter greatly to Courtney.
Cory Miller is a passionate entrepreneur who believes in finding and maintaining work happiness while challenging you to do great things with your life. In 2008, he started iThemes, a pioneer in building cutting-edge web design software and training, which he grew into a multi-million dollar enterprise, and sold to Liquid Web in 2018. In addition to being a regular leadership speaker, trainer and writer, he is the co-author of WordPress All-in-One for Dummies (Wiley, 2011).